clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Classic Match: When Manchester City Shocked Newcastle

Blues Claimed Unlikely League Cup Win

COCA COLA CUP Soccer Photo by Paul Marriott/EMPICS via Getty Images

Manchester City travel to St James’s Park, looking for a further three points that will keep them in touch with leaders Liverpool at the top of the table.

The head-to-head stats show that City have had a good, recent record in the North East, however, it wasn’t always like that. In the formative years of the Premier League, the two team’s situation was reversed. Newcastle were flying high in the Premier League and City were seventh, nine points behind.

The two were paired together in the League Cup at Maine Road, which finished 1-1. Newcastle took the lead in the first half through Mike Jeffrey, however, City levelled in the second half thanks to a bullet header from Uwe Rosler.

The Toon, unbeaten at home so far, were expected to progress into the next round, But City had other ideas. The blues played a weaker side than the one that secured a replay, however, that didn’t stop them securing a stunning result to progress to the fifth round.

In a tight match, Nicky Summerbee followed in his father’s footstep by dazzling along the wing, creating both goals that would see City through. In the first half, City won a corner and it was Summerbee’s cross that Newcastle failed to clear, and Rosler was again on hand to fire the blues into the lead.

The home side failed to deal with the curling cross provided by Summerbee and the German striker took advantage of their slack defending to punish them with a goal and silence the home crowd.

Newcastle had their moments in the match, but it was City that wrapped up the win and set up a fifth-round tie at Crystal Palace. Once again, Summerbee proved to be architect of the second goal.

The winger skipped past two challenges and danced into the box, but his pass was parried by the keeper. The rebound fell to the winger and his header into the six-yard box almost found Niall Quinn, ready to strike. The defender got a foot to the ball first, but it fell only as far as Paul Walsh, and the striker hammered the ball home to give the blues a surprise 2-0 lead.

Newcastle toiled, but City hung on for a well-deserved victory. However, the quarter-final at Palace saw them lose 4-0. It’s the hope that kills you!