clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Manchester City Season Review – September

A Look Back At The Opening Month For The Blues

Wolverhampton Wanderers v Manchester City - Premier League Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images

It has been a long season and it seems like the blues have played every other day as they chased once again battled on four fronts for silverware.

Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, Premier League fixtures didn’t end until July, with the Champions League coming to conclusion in August, the traditional start of the new English season. Premier League fixtures had been put back to 12th September but, due to City’s involvement in the Champions League, the blues first home game of the season against Aston Villa was postponed.

Instead, City’s first game was away at Wolves. The blues had not won at the Black Country side since their return to the Premier League and on their last visit, had thrown away a two goal lead to lose 3-2.

And for the second season running, City went 2 goals ahead thanks to Kevin de Bruyne and Phil Foden. The Belgian won a penalty in the 20th minute after being brought down by Romain Saiss. De Bruyne was going nowhere when the challenge from Saiss floored the Belgian. De Bruyne dusted himself off to score form the spot.

In the 32nd minute, Foden scored his first of a remarkable season for the youngster, after it had threatened to be derailed before it had even began. Foden, along with Mason Mount, had been sent home from the England squad after the pair had breached Coronavirus guidelines at an England international in Iceland. But he began making amends for his error of judgement when he finished a move to send City 2-0 up.

De Bruyne’s ball down the left released Raheem Sterling and his cutback was casually swept home by the youngster. Foden and de Bruyne also went close to increasing the lead as City threatened to overwhelm their hosts.

Wolves pulled a goal back in the 78th minute as they threatened another comeback. Raul Jimenez beating Ederson with a powerful header. But City made the points safe deep into injury time when Gabriel Jesus picked up a lose ball on the edge of the Wolves penalty are, and his shot was deflected past the keeper to make it 3-1 to City.

League Cup – City 2-1 Bournemouth

Bournemouth, relegated from the Premier League last season, were the first visitors to Etihad Stadium, and a much changed City side just about managed to get past them, Debutant Liam Delap scored his first senior goal for the blues on 18 minutes, but Sam Surridge equalised for the Cherries just four minutes later.

The visitors kept it that way until Foden scored his second goal of the season with 15 minutes to go to send City through to the next round.

City 2-5 Leicester

Leicester City were City’s first Premier League opponents, with the blues holding a proud record of never having lost an opening home game in the top-flight since Southampton won 2-1 at Maine Road in 1989.

And the blues looked like continuing that amazing run when Riyad Mahrez scored against his old club in the fourth minute. A corner on the City left was only partially headed away, and Mahrez hammered a right foot shot that flew into the back of the goal.

Leicester had an opportunity to draw level in the 37th minute, when Kyle Walker was judged to have brought Jamie Vardy down in the box. It was a clumsy challenge from Walker and the former England striker got to his feet to blast home the penalty.

And the blues found themselves behind in the 54th minute when Vardy scored his second. A cross from the right found Vardy unmarked, and the Leicester man flicked the ball beyond Ederson to put the visitors 2-1 up.

And just five minutes later, Leicester were awarded a second penalty when Eric Garcia clattered Vardy, who then got to his feet to complete his hat-trick. James Maddison curled home a magnificent fourth for the visitors in the 77th minute before Nathan Ake scored his first goal for City with six minutes remaining, heading home from a corner on the City right.

There was still time for another penalty as Maddison went down in the box, and Youri Tielemans sent Ederson the wrong way to make it 5-2.

Burnley 0-3 City

City made it to the quarter final of the League cup by knocking out Burnley at Turf Moor. Raheem Sterling scored after 35 minutes to send City on their way, before making it 2-0 to City four minutes into the second half.

Ferran Torres made it 3-0 with his first goal for the club on 65 minutes, and City could have had more had it not been for Burnley keeper Bailey Peacock-Farrell denying Sterling his hat-trick.

A busy month ended with City in the League Cup quarter final, but lying in 13th place in the league and already six points behind leaders Leicester.