clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Match From The Past – The Night Manchester City Stunned Blackburn Rovers

Blues Pull Off Amazing Win Against Champions Elect

Soccer - FA Carling Premiership - Manchester City v Blackburn Rovers - Maine Road Photo by Paul Marriott/EMPICS via Getty Images

17th April 1995

Manchester City fans would have been forgiven for thinking their trip to Ewood Park would be a fruitless one. Not only did the blues had a terrible record at Blackburn, but they were up against some of the best and most expensive players in the Premier League, led by record signing and top scorer, Alan Shearer. It was little wonder Rovers were top of the Premier League with an eight point advantage over Manchester United.

City on the other hand were, big surprise, trying to stave off relegation and were just three points off the drop zone. In terms of mis-match, it didn’t come much bigger than this. Rovers were free-scoring, knocking in 73 goals in 36 appearances and conceding just 30, while City had scored 45 goals and conceded 56. The game was live on Sky and he question wasn’t if Blackburn would win, it was more like ‘by how many?’

And Rovers got off to the perfect start. With just seven minutes on the clock, it was Shearer on the scoresheet. Tony Coton’s terrible clearance went straight to the England striker, who buried it into an empty net.

The blues were handed a lifeline on 32 minutes when the referee awarded City a penalty. There seemed to be nothing wrong as Tim Flowers caught Nicky Summerbee’s cross, but it seemed the ref had spotted some short pulling on Niall Quinn. Keith Curle placed the ball on the spot and slotted home the equaliser.

Rovers were back in front six minutes before half time. A corner on the Blackburn right wasn’t cleared by the City defence and former blue Colin Hendry refiled home for the edge of the penalty area.

City levelled again on 57 minutes through Uwe Rosler. A cross from the right was headed out but only as far as Rosler, and the big German striker hit a first time shot beyond the keeper to make it 2-2. City weren’t giving this up just yet.

On 71 minutes, City fans were in dreamland. Nicky Summerbee’s shot was parried by the keeper into the path of Paul Walsh, and the striker followed up with a first time effort that flew into the back of the net. Against all the odds, City were 3-2 up at Ewood Park.

The fans celebrated as the final whistle went, as City became only the second team to win at Ewood Park and inflicted Rovers’ fifth defeat overall.

Final Score: Blackburn Rovers 2-3 Manchester City