clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

On This Day…A Look At Some Of Manchester City’s Past Matches

A Look At Four Battles From The Past Involving Promotion And Relegation

English Premiership - Manchester City v Liverpool Photo by Matthew Ashton/EMPICS via Getty Images

2014 - Liverpool

Manchester City travelled to Anfield and a title showdown with Liverpool. The reds took a 2-0 lead into half time through Raheem Sterling and Martin Skrtel, however the blues rallied in the second half, scoring two goals in five minutes to level the score through David Silva and an own goal by Glen Johnson.

However, Typical City gave Liverpool a helping hand as the reds scored what turned out to be the winner in the 78th minute as City succumbed to a 3-2 defeat and gave Liverpool the advantage in the race for the Premier League title.

2002 – Gillingham

In April 2002, Kevin Keegan’s swash-buckling blues visited Gillingham. City had already won promotion back to the Premier League at the first attempt and looked to continue the incredible run of form that had kept them at the top of the table.

Kevin Horlock scored after 20 minutes on the clock and, despite an equaliser by Iffy Onuora, the blues went in 2-1 up at half time thanks to Shaun Goater. The blues sealed the win with a Darren Huckerby goal with just five minutes remaining.

1998 – Birmingham City

City’s demise down the leagues continued as Birmingham City took three points from the blues at Maine Road. City had won just one match out of the last six and looked set draw their penultimate home match with a goalless stalemate. City had conceded two goals in injury time earlier in the season and it was the same story again as Dele Adebola scored a last minute winner to secure the points and hammer another nail in City’s relegation coffin.

1996 – Sheffield Wednesday

The blues were desperate for three points ahead of City’s home match against Sheffield Wednesday. The bleus had been in freefall all season and went into the match on the back of a 3-0 defeat at Wimbledon in the last game. It was City’s penultimate home game of the season and the game was on a knife edge until Uwe Rosler broke the deadlock on 65 minutes.

The blues held on for a crucial three points to give them a fighting chance of avoiding relegation from the Premier League.