clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

On This Day At Manchester City

A Look Back At Some Of The Fixtures Played On This Date

Soccer - Barclays League Division One - Nottingham Forest v Manchester City Photo by Ross Kinnaird/EMPICS via Getty Images

The Christmas period is usually a busy one, but we have usually played our games on wither 28th or 30th of the month, as the small list below details, however, do check out our Match of this Day, which was an absolute corker.

2019 – City Blunt The Blades

On this day last year, City welcomed Premier League new boys to the Etihad Stadium. City were 3rd in the league, but the Blades were surprising everyone, sitting in 7th place and only having conceded 17 goals, the second best defence in the league and unbeaten in away games since January.

City failed to get a shot on target in the first half and were thankful for VAR, as the new technology disallowed Lys Mousset’s first half goal for offside.

The blues stepped up after half time and Sergio Aguero gave them the lead on 52 minutes after being set up by Kevin de Bruyne. The Belgian wrapped up the points 30 minutes later to inflict a first away Premier League defeat on United.

Final Score: City 2-0 Sheffield United

Blues Held By Leicester

In 2015, City went to the King Power Stadium to face Leicester City. The home side were surprising everyone and were sat in second place before this fixture, with City three points behind in fourth. With City’s better goal difference, victory would have taken them above their hosts, but it wasn’t to be.

The blues had 61% possession and 21 shots in total, but only 5 were on target as City went back to Manchester with a point.

Final Score: Leicester City 0-0 City

2001 – Paolo Hat-Trick Floors Burnley

Kevin Keegan’s City were aiming for promotion and were just four points behind leaders Burnley on this day in 2001. As fate would have it, the Clarets arrived at Maine Road and were sent home with their tails between their legs as City, and Paolo Wanchope, belted them into 2002.

Burnley’s plan to stifle the City attack failed after just 90 seconds. Shaun Goater’s cross was met by Wanchope to slide home the first. Burnley were awarded a penalty on 11 minutes, but Carlo Nash in the City goal guessed right to save Glen Little’s poor spot-kick.

The blues had to wait until the 27th minute to make it 2-0, Ali Benarbia this time playing in Wanchope who coolly slotted home. Less than 10 minutes later, Goater and Wanchope combined to set up Eyal Berkovic to score from the edge of the penalty area, and the visitors first half misery was completed as Wanchope completed his treble on the stroke of half time, thanks to sloppy defending from Burnley.

The visitors pulled a goal back, courtesy of City’s often crazy defending, but Darren Huckerby completed the scoring in injury time to put City one point behind the leaders.

Final Score: City 5-1 Burnley

1990 – Blues Gain Revenge At Forest

City went to Forest on this day in 1990, looking for revenge against what they considered an unjust defeat the previous season. With the score at 0-0 and the ball in the hand of keeper Andy Dibble, Gary Crosby nodded it out of Dibble’s hand and tapped the ball into the goal. To everyone’s surprise, the referee allowed it and City lost 1-0.

There were no such dramatics in 1990 though as the blues gained a comprehensive win. Niall Quinn headed home in the first half. Tommy Gaynor levelled for Forest when he had the whole of the City half to run into, before rounding Tony Coton and slotting home.

But City were made of sterner stuff and when David White’s header hit the bar, Quinn was there to tap home the rebound. In the second half, Quinn found himself in acres of space on the left. He cut inside and left the ball for White, whose cross was met by the head of Wayne Clarke to give City a third and three points.

Final Score: Nottingham Forest 1-3 City