clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Match from The Past – Manchester City Thrash Porto

Dominant Blues Sweep Aside Portuguese Challenge

Manchester City FC v FC Porto - UEFA Europa League Round of 32 Photo by Alex Livesey/Getty Images

22nd February 2012

2012 was a very memorable year for Manchester City. Roberto Mancini’s blues were going head to head with United for the Premier League title but had crashed out of their first Champions League campaign, finishing third in the group and gaining a place in the Europa League.

FC Porto stood in City’s way, but after a 2-1 in Portugal a week earlier, there was cause for optimism in the City camp as the visitors arrived in Manchester for the second leg.

Porto were the holders of the competition, but soon found themselves a goal down. The visitors kicked the match off, but gave possession away cheaply in midfield. Yaya Toure played a perfect ball for Sergio Aguero. And the Argentine hitman raced clear to shoot past the keeper and give City a 19 second lead.

Both teams could have added to the scoreline throughout the first half. Toure’s shot was blocked by the keeper while Joe Hart made a vital save at the other end on 16 minutes. Aguero was through on goal again on 28 minutes, and with the keeper in no mans land, Aguero headed the ball past the keeper and clipped his shot towards goal, only to see it bounce off the bar and away.

Five minutes before half time, Aguero played in Toure, but the midfielder took too long to shoot but managed to play the ball back to Aguero, who fired wide.

Porto did have the ball in the back of the net on 56 minutes, but it was ruled out for offside. The blues were almost there and made sure of their passage into the next round on 75 minutes. Aguero turned provider this time as his pass through the defence found Edin Dzeko, who fired home, much to the disgust of Rolando who protested a little too hard and earned himself a red card.

The visitors fell apart after that and David Silva tapped home number three with seven minutes remaining before substitute David Pizzaro made it 4-0 two minutes later to send City through on a 6-1 aggregate.

Final Score: Manchester City 4-0 Porto