clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Bernardo Silva Charged By FA Over Mendy Tweet

New, comments

Controversy continues in social media row.

Everton FC v Manchester City - Premier League Photo by Matt McNulty - Manchester City/Manchester City FC via Getty Images

Manchester City’s Bernardo Silva has been charged with misconduct by the FA over a “racist” social media post about his teammate Benjamin Mendy.

The Portugese star later deleted the post and insisted it had been a “joke” with a friend.

In a statement on Wednesday, the FA said Silva had been charged with misconduct after it was alleged his post was “insulting and/or improper and/or brought the game into disrepute”.

The governing body said it was further claimed that Silva’s post “constitutes an aggravated breach” because it referred “to race and/or colour and/or ethnic origin”.

Bernardo Silva has until 9 October to respond to the charge.

A regulatory commission will decide what sanction it deems appropriate for the act committed.

Various sources reported that Silva wrote to the FA to express regret over the tweet, while French star Mendy also wrote to the governing body to say that no personal harm had been caused.

We’ll keep you updated here.