clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

On This Day – A Manchester City Blast from The Past

A Look back At Some Previous Games Down The Years

Ian Brightwell of Manchester City
Ian Brightwell Scores Two Of City’s Three Goals In 1989 At Chelsea


In 2015, Manuel Pellegrini’s men looked like they would run away with the title, winning their first five matches without conceding a goal, including an impressive 3-0 home win over champions Chelsea. West Ham were the visitors, and City had had the upper hand over the Hammers in recent seasons and were fully expected to make it six wins out of six.

But the Hammers had other ideas and stunned the blues by taking the lead after just six minutes. By the 31st minute, West Ham were 2-0 to the good when Diafra Sakho scored and the City fans were wondering what was going on. Kevin de Bruyne pulled a goal back on the stroke of half time, but couldn’t find a way past the stubborn Hammers, who took all three points back to London.


The blues visited Wigan in the Premier League, desperate to put their previous bad form against the Latics behind them. City had only won one of their opening four games and the Latics were tough opposition and held the blues until the 43rd minute when Carlos Tevez made the breakthrough.

Still the blues had some work to do, but the match was secured when Yaya Toure made it 2-0 with twenty minutes to go.


In 1998, third division City welcomed the might of Chesterfield to Maine Road. The blues had lost just one of their opening seven matches and should have beaten the visitors comfortably.

But this was the City of old, and Chesterfield took the lead in the 28th minute to stun the faithful into silence. Record signing Lee Bradbury equalised for the blues eight minutes later, then struggled to capitalise as the visitors held on for a point.


On 19th September 1988, newly relegated Chelsea faced the blues at Stamford Bridge. The two teams had been favourites for promotion, but both had struggled for form. City had won one in five matches, and when Chelsea took an early lead, City’s woes looked like continuing.

But Ian Brightwell levelled just before half time, then Paul Moulden scored a screamer of a goal to put the blues in front. Neil McNab was the architect of City’s third goal, taking on the Chelsea defence to lay the ball off for Brightwell to score his second and City’s third and the blues took the points back to Manchester.


Stoke City were again the visitors to Maine Road and once more, the unbeaten blues walked away with a three goal win.

Tony Brook, Francis Lee and Neil Young gave the blues a 3-0 lead at half time. Stoke did pull a goal back in the second half, but an own goal by Stoke keeper Gordon Banks gave the blues a 4-1 victory.