clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

On This Day - A Manchester City Blast From The Past

A Look Back At Four Matches From The Past

Crystal Palace v Manchester City - Premier League Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images


In 2015, Manuel Pellegrini’s City made a blistering start to the season, winning the first four matches and scoring 10 goals and conceding none. Alan Pardew’s Crystal Palace would be a tough test for the blues and for 89 minutes, it looked like City would drop points for the first time.

But in the final minute, Kelechi Iheanacho got on the end of a loose ball to poke home the winner and make it five wins out of five and have the fans dreaming of Premier League success again. It wouldn’t last as they went on to lose the next two.


The match against Arsenal on 12th September 2009 will be remembered for one event involving a former Gunner, the length of the pitch and the away fans. The blues went into the match having won all three of their opening matches, again without conceding a goal, but their record against Arsenal was not a good one.

But from the moment Almunia gave City the lead, there would only be one winner, despite Robin van Persie’s second half equaliser. Craig Bellamy put City back in front on 74 minutes before the game’s big talking point. Emmanuel Adebayor, who had joined the blues acrimoniously from Arsenal in the summer, put City 3-1 up on 80 minutes, then ran the length of the pitch to slide on his knees in front of the Arsenal fans.

That provoked the Arsenal fans into throwing anything they could at the striker, and Adebayor was later banned for a stamp on van Persie which was unnoticed by the referee. Adebayor later cited abuse from Arsenal fans that made him react in that way.

Once everything had settled down, Shaun Wright-Phillips hit a fourth for City before Arsenal pulled a late goal back for the match to finish 4-2 to the blues.


In September 1986, Billy McNeill’s struggling blues visited Oxford United. City had won on the opening day, but had failed to win any of their following four fixtures.

That run would extend to five matches as the blues failed to find the net for the fourth time already that season. Thankfully for the traveling supporters, they didn’t concede either but their troubles in front of goal would ultimately cost the blues their place in the top flight.


The blues travelled to Nottingham Forest on 12th September 1970, looking to extend their unbeaten start to the season to six games. Four wins became five as City won 1-0 at the City Ground.

Mike Doyle scored the only goal of the game in the first half to send City home with the points.